Make it rain! Unfortunately, what we are really good at, is making it acid rain. Acid rain started showing up in the 1800’s during the industrial era. Acid rain forms when nitric and sulfuric acid react with oxygen and water and other stuff. In the long run, it runs off into the soil, it contaminates ground water. But before it gets there, it can damage our buildings and homes.

Buildings with limestone or marble exteriors are often pitted due to acid rain. Detailed features and engraving can be completely lost. Metal elements can also be damaged. Often, it is discolored and in time weakened.

Landscaping, such as soil and trees, can be permanently damaged. Trees can be so affected that they will never properly react to changes in pH levels. The soil can be damaged, causing other plants to be chronically unhealthy due to lack of proper nutrients.

error: Content is protected !!